Monday, November 1, 2010

Heaven

My friend shared with me today a beautiful, sweet dream her daughter had. In her dream, she visited heaven and it was beautiful and happy. I know my friend didn't realize it, but this dream brought me so much peace this afternoon.

Heaven is a topic I can't get enough of these days. If my baby is going to be there, I want to know what it is like. I want to understand what she sees and feels. I want to know she is ok. Just like you would check out a school or a class before you sent your child, I want to check out what heaven is all about.

I have always known things about heaven. I know it is a happy place. I know there is no fear or sadness, but mostly, I just didn't spend too much time thinking about it. But that was before...now I can't get enough. I find so much of how we see heaven is colored by Hollywood. But the Hollywood version is so boring. Floating around in togas on clouds all day playing a harp seems miserable to someone who loves to be busy. Forgive me if that is sacriligous, but it is the truth. It just seemed awful. And then I discovered Heaven Your Real Home by Joni Eareckson Tada. If you don't know her, I recommend reading more about her. I am sure I will talk about her again, but for now, I will just say she is completely amazing. Her view of heaven speaks to me. I don't know if she is right or not. I won't know till I get to go to my Abigail and my Father and then it won't matter. For now it satisfies me. This is how she talks about heaven.

The new heaven and the new earth are real. Heaven is beautiful yes, but more importantly, it is physical and real. It is so much more real than this world. It is a place where we do things. We have our own contributions to make. It is a place where time doesn't matter (so exciting!). It is a place where we celebrate and commune with the Lord of the universe and marvel at His creation (!!!), but it is also a place where we are active and are in relationship with each other.

Several things about her perspective strike me. Some writers want to say all people are adults in heaven. As a grieving mother, this idea is so painful. I want my Abigial, not her adult form. I want my baby. Tada says that since God is love and He knows the desires of our hearts, then He also would know that a mother's arms ache for her child. Of course, what kind of heaven would it be if there were no children?! If you think of the example of Christ, He was always calling the children to Him. A heaven of adults makes no sense.

Also, the idea that times doesn't matter is so important to me. The idea, however ridiculous, that Abigail is waiting on me hurts. It is so painful to think she doesn't understand why I am not with her. However, if time really moves differently than on earth, for her the time between her arrival and mine will be just a blink. What a wonderful thought!

I have so much more to say about what I am reading and learning about heaven. In the meantime, I highly recommend Tada's book if you are interested in the beauty of heaven. I would love to hear your thoughts.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Brandy, it makes so much sense and I find it so comforting. I'm adding this book to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds beautiful!! I know that I've been taught that heaven is a place of no sorrow and no pain - so I imagine that Abigail does not feel any worry or concern and I agree that time to us seems so long but in heaven it is but a blink!! I am so glad you are finding comfort from this book - it sounds like an interesting book to read. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful topic! I recall my sister having a vision of my mother as she lay and nurse her baby, while at a gathering after my mothers funeral. She said my mother was smiling from ear to ear and holding her hands up by her face to show that her hands were healed. As a child my mother was in a train accident and lost fingers from her right hand....something that handicapped her mentally her entire life. My sisters vision of my mother... happy and whole ....and gave me much strength,hope, and reassurance that she wasn't handicapped anymore...that she was in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but think also that Abigail is a child in heaven as well, Brandy. I think just like your arms ache to hold Abigail, our Father in heaven's arms ache to hold us as well, and there is just something so special in holding a child. I can imagine her in His lap and Him giving her the love she once had on earth from you and Michael. I, too, find it hard to think that the Lord wants a heaven full of adults. Children bring so much joy. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still can't wait to read this book. Abigail inspired me to know what comes next too. I am forever grateful to her for opening my eyes again. I was tired of searching and now I can't stop. I know I will meet her someday and I can't wait to hug her and thank her.
    kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting topic, Brandy!! I too have been enamored with what heaven will be like and have read a couple books on the subject. One of my faves, well, the first couple chapters are my fave ;) is 90 minutes in heaven. Its free on kindle (or it was when i got it) so look it up if you have one, or even an iphone/ipad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so ironic that you blogged this yesterday. I was searching for a book that would inspire me about heaven. Searched amazon, even went to Target and had a book in hand then placed it back down. My Brother-in-law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a month ago. I wake in panic some nights. Sad to say, but questioning my faith and everything. Wondering how this could happen and how my sister and niece will handle the whole process. This by no means compairs to your own grief. I am searching for answers. I love your topic on heaven. Very intrested in the book!! I can't thank you enough for sharing you deepest thoughts. You touch so many lives and inspire so many.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip about the book. I will be checking it out. There is another author, by the name of Sylvia Browne, who writes about heaven. Many people won't read her books because her ideas are so radically different than what we are used to hearing. When I took a chance and read one of her books about "The Other Side" (what she calls heaven), I was greatly comforted. I hope that you will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Brandy, I too clung to this book when Mom died. I needed to know that I really would see her again one day! I was obsessed with knowing that. Keith reminded me of the conversation of Jesus and thief on the cross, "today, you will be with me in paradise." That did give me some hope, but I needed more. I began reading Joni's book and it was such healing for me! I also had a dream soon after Mom died. She came and took me to heaven. She walked me around and told me how well cared for she was. How all her dreams have come true. She showed me where she was living. Everything of heaven was blurry to me. She was the only thing that was clear, that I could see. Then we began passing people. I saw faces of people. People that I had once known on earth. It was so very amazing to me. I awoke with such joy. It was if the Lord knew my hearts desire to just know if I would recognize her and see her again. Seeing the other people and her gave me such peace to know I don't have to question that anymore. Im so thankful you found this great book and that you are finding hope in it. I do think of you so much Brandy. I pray that you are feeling the Lord holding you on the days you just don't think you can go anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always dear friend, I think of you and Abigail reuniting in heaven and the thought of that being so little of a time for her bring so much joy. I can only sit here and pray that your time on earth seems worth all the pain and that you strength others through your ministry to those who are lost and have lost a loved one, only to be forgotten after a brief time here on earth.

    Love and prayers, Kim

    ReplyDelete